Jaco researches intergenerational dynamics and co-ordinates the African Research Network on Ageing (AFRAN) and the Society and Environment Research Cluster.
Jaco’s research interests revolve around intergenerational and care issues in sub Saharan Africa in general and in particular the configuration and reconfiguration of these relationships in the context of poverty and HIV/AIDS. He also coordinates the African Research Network on Ageing (AFRAN), which aims to bring together African and international institutions and individuals from academia, policy and practice to develop and expand African research and training capacity on ageing.
Recent professional committments
Jaco’s further professional responsibilities include:
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Intergenerational Relationships: programs, policy, and research (Taylor & Francis); Journal of Population Ageing (Springer).
- Fellow of the International Longevity Centre (ILC) Africa, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Honorary Research Associate, Institute on Ageing in Africa, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the Africa Unit for Transdisciplinary Health Research (AUTHeR), North-West University, South Africa.
- Member of successive Scientific Programme Committees of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics and the International Federation on Ageing.as well as the International Sociological Association RC11 “Sociology of Aging”.
- Chair of the Scientific Programme Committee and member of the Local Organizing Committee: 1st AFRAN / IAGG Africa Regional Conference on Gerontology and Geriatrics “Ageing Africa: Beyond Madrid +10”, 17-20 October 2012. Cape Town, South Africa.
As Past President of the South African Gerontological Association (SAGA), he continues to be involved in various developmental programmes and initiatives in the field of ageing in South Africa.
Links to publicly accessible reports; academic publications available on request.
- International Handbook on Ageing and Public Policy
- Caregiving for older people in contexts of poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: recognizing and addressing a ‘Cultural lag’
- Intergenerational negotiation of future care of older persons: a comparative study in the South African context
- Policy and practitioner responses to the challenges of population ageing: Introduction
- Families, Older Persons and Care in contexts of Poverty: the Case of South Africa
- Citizenship, Belonging and Intergenerational Relations in African Migration
- Introduction: Citizenship, Belonging and Intergenerational Relations in African Migration
- Country Monographs: Post-Apartheid South Africa
- Giants of the 21st Century: Population Ageing and Intergenerational Justice
- Understanding African Migration: Intergenerational Relations, Citizenship and Belonging in a Comparative Context