Prof L Stephen Geyer
Associate Professor: Social Work, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Associate Professor: Social Work
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK & CRIMINOLOGY
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
PRIVATE BAG X20
(+27) 12 420 2648
Dr Stephan Geyer is a senior lecturer in Social Work at the University of Pretoria. In his undergraduate teaching he focuses on community development, social development, social gerontology and substance abuse. Postgraduate teaching comprises research supervision in fields such as HIV and AIDS (e.g., Resilient Educators Support Programme), substance abuse (e.g. social workers’ role in aftercare and reintegration services) and income generation programmes.
In the field of gerontology, his research interests include alcohol dependency amongst older persons and intergenerational communication (e.g. South Africa pilot of the Memory Bridge Initiative).
He has published numerous papers in accredited journals both in South Africa and internationally. Most of these papers have also been presented at conferences.
In 2011 Dr Geyer received the Young Up and Coming Academic Award from the Association of South African Schools of Social Work (Asaswei) for scholars under the age of 40.
Key research/capacity building interests
- Intergenerational communication
- Social Policy for Older Persons
Key methodological skills
- Quantitative research (e.g. programme evaluation, content analysis through indicators)
- Qualitative research
- Policy analysis (including comparative analyses)
- South African pilot of the Memory Bridge Initiative (Chicago, CEO Michael Verde; co-researcher Prof Erna Alant, University of Indiana, Bloomington, USA)
- Factors contributing to long-term sobriety/abstinence amongst South African older persons.