Dr. Tosun is the Barbara Smith Campbell Distinguished Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is also a Professor of Economics and the Department Chair. He is a research fellow at the Institute of Labor Economics (IZA), an affiliate research fellow at the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing, a research fellow at the Economic Research Forum (ERF), and a fellow at the Global Labor Organization (GLO). He is on the journal editorial board of Migration Letters and the program committee of Przeglad Organizacji (Organization Review), which is published by the SGH Warsaw School of Economics. Dr. Tosun received his Ph.D. in Economics from the Maxwell School at Syracuse University. His research interests and expertise include public finance, economics of population and demographic change, international political economy, regional economics and economic growth. He has done consulting for a number of national and international agencies, including the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA), the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy among others. Dr. Tosun received the Global Engagement Award from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2018 and the Dean’s Research Professorship Award in 2013. He was recognized as the Best Researcher of the Year in 2009 by Beta Gamma Sigma. He was the recipient of the Middle East Economic Association’s Ibn Khaldun Prize in 2005.
Recent Professional Commitments
- Teaching microeconomics (undergraduate), public economics (undergraduate and graduate), economics of population (undergraduate/graduate), and regional economics (undergraduate/graduate), Fall 2006 to present.
- Graduate student advising in 17 doctoral dissertation committees and 12 master thesis committees.
- Refereed 58 papers for 31 different journals including among others Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Journal of Population Economics, Journal of Population Ageing, Journal of the Economics of Ageing, Migration Letters, International Tax and Public Finance, National Tax Journal, Economic Inquiry, and China Economic Review.
- Served as reviewer for funding agencies and academic publishers including the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and the Handbook on the Economics of International Migration.
- Collen Visiting Fellow, Oxford Institute of Population Ageing, England. April 22, 2014 to June 25, 2014.
- Visiting Research Fellow, Oxford Institute of Population Ageing, England. June 27, 2011 to July 4, 2011.
- Consultant, UNESCWA (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia), Beirut, Lebanon. May 2012 to March 2013. (Institutional Development and Participation in Countries in Transition)
- Consultant, UCLG (United Cities and Local Governments), Barcelona, Spain. February 2008 to November 2010. (Second Global Report on Decentralization and Local Democracy)
- Short Term Consultant, The World Bank, Sustainable Development Department. May 01, 2009 to June 15, 2009. (Decentralization and Spatial Dimension of Public Expenditures in MENA Countries)
- Short Term Consultant, The World Bank, Social Development Department. June 17, 2008 to December 31, 2008. (Fiscal decentralization in Turkey and MENA countries)
- Consultant, UNIFEM (United Nations Development Fund for Women), October 2008. (Gender Budgeting)
- Anniversary Chair, National Tax Association’s 100thAnniversary Conference, December 2006 to December 2007.
- Coordinator, Working Paper Series and Seminar Series, Department of Economics, University of Nevada, Reno, October 2006 to May 2011.
- Special Advisor and Consultant, West Virginia Tax Modernization Project, April to December 2006.
- Visiting Researcher, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Germany, July 2006, June 2007, and May 2008.
- Faculty Research Associate, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University. April 2005 to May 2006.
- Visiting Scholar and Consultant, Research Department, International Monetary Fund, May 2004. (IMF 2004 World Economic Outlook: The Global Demographic Transition)
- Research Assistant, New York State Tax Study Commission, New York State Assembly, Ways and Means Committee, June, 2000 to June, 2001.
- Research Associate, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, 1998 to 2001.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- “Demographic Deficit” 2013. Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration.Wiley Blackwell.
- “Population Aging, Elderly Migration and Education Spending: Intergenerational Conflict Revisited,” with Claudia Williamson and Pavel Yakovlev. Public Budgeting and Finance32 (2): 25-39.
- “Aging and Its Impact on Municipal Credit,” with Stephen Stowe, Tom Gillaspy, and Susan Rhodes (Fall, 2013). Municipal Finance Journal, 33 (3): 33-55.
- “A Reexamination of State Fiscal Health and Amnesty Enactment.” (forthcoming) with Hari Luitel. International Tax and Public Finance.
- “Migration Elasticities, Fiscal Federalism, and the Ability of States to Redistribute Income,” with Seth Giertz. 2012. National Tax Journal 65 (4): 1069-1092. Symposium Issue.
- “Property Value Assessment Growth Limits, Tax Base Erosion, and Regional In-Migration,” with Mark Skidmore. 2011. Public Finance Review 39 (2): 256-287.
- “The Impact of Local Decentralization on Economic Growth: Evidence from U.S. Counties,” with George Hammond. 2011. Journal of Regional Science 51 (1): 47-64.
- “Decentralization, Economic Development and Growth in Turkish Provinces,” (September 2008) with Serdar Yilmaz. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade. 46 (4): 23-44.(earlier version published as World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 4725 http://econ.worldbank.org/external/default/main?pagePK=64165259&piPK=64165421&theSitePK=469372&menuPK=64166093&entityID=000158349_20080924104342
- “Centralization, Decentralization and Conflict in the Middle East and North Africa,” (October 2008) with Serdar Yilmaz. Middle East Development Journal 2 (1): 1-14. (earlier version published as World Bank MENA Working Paper Series No.51 and World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 4774. http://econ.worldbank.org/external/default/main?pagePK=64165259&theSitePK=469372&piPK=64165421&menuPK=64166093&entityID=000158349_20081110112652
- “Property and Other Wealth Taxes Internationally: Evidence from OECD Countries,” with Sonja Pippin, Richard Mason and Charles Carslaw. Advances in Taxation 19: 145-169.
- “Political Economy of Immigration in Germany: Attitudes and Citizenship Aspirations,” with Martin Kahanec. 2009. International Migration Review 43 (2): 263-291.
- “The Income Elasticity of Gross Casino Revenues: Short-Run and Long-Run Estimates,” with Mark Nichols. 2009. National Tax Journal 61 (4) Part 1: 635-652.
- “Endogenous Fiscal Policy and Capital Market Transmissions in the Presence of Demographic Shocks.” 2008. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 32 (6): 2031-2060.
- “Do New Lottery Games Stimulate Economic Activity? Evidence from Border Counties in West Virginia,” with Mark Skidmore. 2008. Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy 38 (1): 45-55.
- “Cross-Border Shopping and the Sales Tax: A Reexamination of Food Purchases in West Virginia,” with Mark Skidmore, 2007. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 7(1) (Topics), Article 63.
- “Open Trade and Skilled and Unskilled Labor Productivity in Developing Countries: A Panel Data Analysis,” with Sohrab Abizadeh, 2007 (September). Journal of International Trade and Economic Development 16 (3): 383-399.
- “Economic Growth and Tax Components: An Analysis of Tax Changes in OECD” with Sohrab bizadeh, 2005 (October). Applied Economics 37 (19): 2251-2263.
- “The Tax Structure and Trade Liberalization of the Middle East and North Africa Region,” 2005 (April) Review of Middle East Economics and Finance 3 (1): 21-38.
- “Interstate Competition and State Lottery Revenues,” with Mark Skidmore, 2004 (June). National Tax Journal 57 (2): 163-178.
- “Generational Conflict, Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth,” with Douglas J. Holtz-Eakin and Mary E.Lovely, 2004 (March). Journal of Macroeconomics 26 (1): 1-23. (published previously as NBER Working Paper 7762)
- “Population Aging and Economic Growth: Political Economy and Open Economy Effects,” 2003 (December). Economics Letters 81 (3): 291-296. (also published in the Elsevier Volume New Developments in the Economics of Population Ageing, edited by John Creedy and Ross Guest)
- “Demographic Divide and Labor Migration in the Euro-Mediterranean Region.” Bilgi University MENA Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June 21, 2013.
- “Political Economy of Decentralization in Arab Countries,” presented at the ERF Workshop “Political Economy of Transformation in the ERF Region.” Tunis, Tunisia, October 27, 2013.
- “Fiscal Decentralization and Local Borrowing in Turkish Provinces,” with Dilek Uz and Serdar Yilmaz. Presented at the NTA 106th Annual Conference on Taxation, Tampa, FL. November 21, 2013.
- “Centralized Government Structure in the Middle East and North Africa Region from a Historical Perspective.” Colonial Heritage in the Middle East and the Maghreb: the Shaping of Hopes and Perspectives, Mansfield College, Oxford, June 25, 2013.
- “Demographic Deficit, Transition and Migration in the Mediterranean Region: Political Economy and Fiscal Considerations.” Keynote Speech at the Second Workshop on Economics of the Mediterranean and the Euromediterranean Process, organized jointly by the Center for Research on the Economies of the Mediterranean (CREMed), and the European Institute, London School of Economics. Barcelona, Spain, June 22, 2011.
- “Decentralization, Conflict and Essential Service Delivery: The Viable Options in the Middle East.” United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA) Expert Group Meeting Governance and Conflict Relapse, Beirut, Lebanon, May 31, 2011.
- “International Labor Migration, Brain Drain and Fiscal Policy in the Euro-Mediterranean Region.” Presented at the World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Barcelona, Spain, July 20, 2010.
- “Migration, Gender and Attitudes: Turkish and MENA Immigrants in Germany.” Presented at the GERPA Annual Conference, Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, November 19, 2009.
- “Centralization, Decentralization and Conflict in the Middle East and North Africa,” with Serdar Yilmaz. Presented at the Dubai School of Government, June 2, 2009 and the Economic Research Forum (ERF) 15th Annual Conference, Cairo, Egypt. November 25, 2008.
- “Global Aging and Fiscal Policy with International Labor Mobility: A Political Economy Perspective.” Presented at the Department of Economics, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Ankara, Turkey. May 26, 2009.
- “Externalities from International Labor Migration: Efficacy of a Brain Drain Tax in the Euro-Mediterranean Region.” Presented at the Development of Euro-Mediterranean Economic Research (DREEM) International Conference “Inequalities and Development in the Mediterranean Countries,” Galatasaray University, Istanbul, Turkey. May 21, 2009.
- “The Impact of Local Decentralization on Economic Growth: Evidence from U.S. Counties,” with George Hammond. Presented at the Western Regional Science Association Conference, Napa, CA. February 24, 2009.
- “Political Economy of Immigration in Germany: Attitudes and Citizenship Aspirations,” with Martin Kahanec. Presented at the Applied Microeconomics Summer Conference, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, June 27, 2008.
- "Government Size, Institutions and Economic Growth: Government Spending Decomposed,", Economic Research Forum 13th Annual Conference, Kuwait. December 15, 2006.
- “Local Decentralization and Economic Growth: Evidence from Metropolitan and Non-Metropolitan Regions,” with George Hammond. Presented at the National Tax Association 99thAnnual Conference on Taxation, Boston, November 18, 2006.
- “Population Aging, Labor Mobility and Economic Growth: Evidence from MENA and the Developed World,” presented at the Economic Research Forum’s 12thAnnual Conference, Cairo, Egypt, 19-21 December 2005.
- “Population Aging, Elderly Migration and Education Spending: Intergenerational Conflict Revisited,” with Claudia Williamson and Pavel Yakovlev. Presented at the National Tax Association 98thAnnual Conference on Taxation, Miami, Florida, November 17, 2005.
- “Cross-Border Shopping and the Sales Tax: A Reexamination of Food Purchases in West Virginia,” with Mark Skidmore. Presented at the Southern Regional Science Association Annual Conference, Arlington, Virginia, April 8, 2005 and NTA session in the Allied Social Science Associations meetings in Boston, January 6, 2006.
- “Do New Lottery Games Stimulate Economic Activity? Evidence from Border Counties in West Virginia,” with Mark Skidmore. Presented at the National Tax Association 97thAnnual Conference on Taxation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 12, 2004.
- “An Analysis of Tax Structure Changes in the MENA Region in Response to Trade Liberalization” Presented at the Economic Research Forum’s 10thAnnual Conference, Marrakech, Morocco, 16-18 December 2003.
Links to publicly accessible reports; academic publications available on request.