Atulya returns to the Institute as a Research Fellow.
Yale University, New Haven, USA
Masters in Public Health - MPH
Concentration: International Health
Thesis: Quality of Life in the Elderly
Medical University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Doctor of Medicine - MD
Concentration: General Medicine
Thesis: Virulence of E.Coli in Urinary Tract Infections
Research interests: globalization, health and ageing
- Canadian Longitudinal Study on Ageing - Protocol Development
- Yale Program on Aging - YEESS study - Research Management
- Nova Scotia Hepatitis C Link - Project Management
- Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network - Proposal Development
- World Health Organization - Investment for Health in Romania - Experts Group member
- Future of Public Health in Canada - Committee member
- Public Health Association of Nova Scotia - Board of Directors
Publications and presentations
- Role of plain abdominal radiographs in predicting type of congenital pouch colon., Mathur P, Saxena AK, Bajaj M, Chandra T, Sharma NC, Simlot A, Saxena AK., Pediatr Radiol. 2010 Oct;40(10):1603-8. Epub 2010 Aug 6.
- Attitudes and practices of employers towards ageing workers: evidence from a global survey on the future of retirement., Sarah Harper, Hafiz Khan, Atulya Saxena and George Leeson., Ageing Horizons. 2006 Autumn-Winter; Issue 5.
- Rates and risks of complicated grief among psychiatric clinic patients in Karachi, Pakistan., Prigerson H, Ahmed I, Silverman GK, Saxena AK, Maciejewski PK, Jacobs SC, Kasl SV, Aqeel N, Hamirani M., Death Stud. 2002 Dec;26(10):781-92.
- Investment for health - Romania., Erio Ziglio et al., WHO, March 2000.
- Globalization and healthy ageing – understanding the dynamics between globalization and health in Udaipur, India., Atulya Saxena, Green Templeton Human Welfare Conference II, University of Oxford, Oxford, England, 9th – 10th of May, 2009
- Impact of globalization on parts of the European Union., Atulya Saxena, George Leeson, Abstract#59, ECSR/ESF TransEurope Conference, Globalization, Inequality and the Life Course, Groningen, The Netherlands, September 1-2, 2007
- Chair/Moderator: Ensuring older worker's employability, ECSR/ESF TransEurope Conference Globalization, Inequality and the Life Course, Groningen, The Netherlands, September 1-2, 2007
- Patterns of medication utilization among individuals diagnosed with Hepatitis C in Senior's Pharmacare and community services databases: The NSHepLink project., S. Kirkland, J. Scott, K. Peltekian, A. Saxena, and the NSHepLink Reseach Group, Abstract#34, 2nd Canadian Conference on Hepatitis C, Vancouver, British Columbia, 27th to 30th March, 2004
- Suicidality in dually diagnosed and widowed persons assessed using the Yale Evaluation of Elderly Suicidality Scale (YEESS)., Holly Prigerson, PhD, Joyce H. Chen, BS, Atulya K. Saxena, MD MPH, May Rosenheck, Gabriel Silverman, BA, Thomas Gill, M. Carrington Reid, MD PhD, Ismene Petrakis, MD, Selby C. Jacobs, MD MPH, Tony P. George, MD, and Yeates Conwell, MD, Abstract #28608, The 129th Annual Meeting of APHA, October 2001.
- Consensus criteria for traumatic grief assessed among patients at a psychiatric clinic in Karachi, Pakistan., Irshad Ahmed, MD, M. Munir Hamirani, MD, Noorulain Aqeel, MD, Gabriel Silverman, BA, Holly Prigerson, PhD, and Atulya Saxena MD MPH, Abstract #13269, The 128th Annual Meeting of APHA, November, 2000.
- Globalization and healthy ageing - quantifying the relationship between globalization and health., Atulya Saxena, Green Templeton Human Welfare Conference II, University of Oxford, Oxford, England, 9th – 10th of May, 2009
- Options and challenges pertaining to data collection, flow, storage, and analysis for the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging., Tim Chipman, Steven Dukeshire, Atulya Saxena, Olga Kits, Geoff Strople, Susan Kirkland, Parminder Raina, Christina Wolfson. CAG, Halifax, October 21, 2005.
- Utilization of drug insurance services by Hepatitis C infected individuals., S. Kirkland, J. Scott, K. Peltekian, A. Saxena. 'Digestive Disease Week' conference, New Orleans, Louisianna, 15th to 20th of May, 2004
- Validation of a population-based cohort of individuals diagnosed with Hepatitis C via the linkage of administrative, clinical, and public health databases., S. Kirkland, J. Scott, K. Peltekian, A. Saxena and the NSHepLink Research Group., 'CDDW 2004' conference, Banff, Alberta, 27 February to March , 2004
- Estimating the burden of chronic hepatitis C using vital statistics., Atulya Saxena, Susan Kirkland, Kevork Peltekian and the NSHepLink Research Team., 'Hep C 2003' conference, Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College 25-27th June, 2003.
- Utilization of physician services pre and post diagnosis of Hepatitis C., Susan Kirkland, Atulya Saxena, and the NSHepLink Research Team., 'Hep C 2003' conference, Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College 25-27th June, 2003.
- Analysis of patients with chronic viral Hepatitis C in an ambulatory care clinic cared by a nurse practitioner., M Lareyea, S Williams, M Alghamdi, A Bedi, G. Hirsch, A. Saxena, S. Kirkland, T Peterson, K. Peltekian. NSHepLink Research Group., CDDW, Banff, Alberta, February-2003.
- Trends in risk factors for the transmission of Hepatitis C in Nova Scotia (1990-2000)., S. Kirkland, J. Scott, K. Peltekian, C. Brenckmann, A. Saxena., CDDW, Banff, Alberta, February-2003.